Columbus, OH – Independent Living Class
This is Margo Mahony, one of our Treatment Coordinators located in Columbus, OH. She recently developed and taught the first hands-on Independent Living Class to 7 youth for 8 weeks. The youth enjoyed themselves so much they have asked to continue with the class or be a part of the next one.
The youth experienced:
- how to create a resume
- a mock interview
- took the bus to the Laundromat to learn how to wash clothes
- looked at apartments to learn expenses and what questions to ask when looking for housing
- went to the grocery store, bought food, and made a spaghetti dinner
- listened to a speak for the health department about sexually transmitted diseases and protecting themselves
- spoke to a representative from the bank
- spoke to a military recruiter
This class was funded in part by one of our foster parents who also served as a mentor to this group!